Sunday, March 1, 2009

A Letter to President Obama

I think the president should start to listen to the people who elected him if my friend David Cromwell is any indication.  Received this copy of a letter to Obama after the Tuesday night "state of the union."

I saw the whole thing, and I am a big supporter of you, your brains, your eloquence and your energies.   Could not agree with you more, in fact.  I don't want, though, to continue this American Empire ethic you seem to be promoting these days.  I thought you saw things differently.  Now I really wonder....
 
I am a Howard Zinn acolyte, I suppose.   I agree with him: you should stop saying that America will "lead the world again!".  We have a horrible track record at doing just that, which is why we are in this horrible state of foreign affairs these days. 
 
And so, I was saddened to see such 'imperialism' on display during your entry into our Congressional hall, last night.  That was way tacky, my friend.  You are totally loved in this beat-up land of ours, and we are 70% behind you.  But, any more of this imperialistic bullshit from you, and it'll be over before you can do any of the stuff you were so eloquent about last night. 
 
Trim your sails.  I am thrilled to the bones that you are our President.  But cut the trumpeting, okay?
 
David Cromwell
.

No comments: